Thursday, March 8, 2012

Welcome to the blog!

Welcome to the window of my experience using standards based assessments (SBA) in the music classroom! The plan is to update this blog ideally every two weeks, and give you experiences, insights, and feedback on how well, or not well, standards based assessment (SBA) is going in my music classrooms.

About my situation:
All classes are at a high school of 1,300 students in a suburb of Portland, OR.
I am teaching Band (2 concert bands, 1 jazz band) and Choir (1 concert SATB, 1 SSA).
The grading platform my district uses is Skyward, which has a unique platform for SBA.

I have previously been using the typical: Participation-30%, Performances 20%, etc... But it sometimes feels like the numbers and grades become arbitrary and student learning is not really being recorded. My theory is that SBA will give students a more formative assessment, and allow them to measure their success in focused areas.

More to come soon!



2 comments:

  1. I am not sure you are still doing this blog, but I am in almost the EXACT situation you are in. I developed my standards a few years ago, and am now updating and refreshing them to be more thorough. I too am teaching band and choir, and almost have the same numbers you do (my HS is at 1200 students, but I too teach two bands, a jazz band, and two choirs - a chamber choir and an ssa)....

    I love what you have done with your standards, and am going to read through your entire blog to get more ideas. If you want to collaborate, my email is mpelandini@fpschools.org

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome blog - I am trying to implement standardized grading at a High school of 1600 students in a suburb of Seattle, WA. very similar situation - great ideas, thanks!

    ReplyDelete